BETHEL LUTHERAN HOME IS SEARCH FOR A PART-TIME HOUSEKEEPER
General Description The Housekeeper performs housekeeping and cleaning activities within well established guidelines and assigned areas.
- Follows cleaning schedule (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.,) as outlined for housekeeping department.
- Cleans assigned areas, furnishings, and fixtures according to established housekeeping procedures.
- Cleans floors: Dry mops, wet mops, sweeps, disinfects where and cleans movable and stationary furnishings and fixtures: Dusts, spot cleans or washes, disinfects when necessary, polishes where required. This includes the cleaning of ledges, shelves, vents, etc., cleans and relines wastebaskets. Straightens or rearranges furniture as directed.
- Inspects furnishings for wear and defects and reports to Director of Maintenance.
- Cleans bathroom (resident, private): Cleans and disinfects all fixtures, floors, and walls as directed. Washes windows and mirrors. Replenishes bathroom supplies.
- Cleans walls, windows, doors, and ceilings: Spot cleans between washings, washes, disinfects when necessary. Walls and ceilings and ceiling fixtures are cleaned as scheduled.
- Cleans entrances and exits: Cleans as directed above for floors and walls.
- Cleans all horizontal surfaces daily or as required, removing dust, dirt, or greasy film, using disinfectants where necessary such as in resident care areas.
- Performs terminal cleaning duties according to established procedure (see Housekeeping procedure manual) in resident rooms when resident has been discharged or transferred, and prepares room for new occupant.
- Removes for cleaning and re-hangs curtains, drapes, and dividers. Changes light bulbs. Removes waste and disposes of waste and trash. Waters flowers. Sends soiled linens to laundry
- Reports observations concerning structural and equipment wear, defects and malfunctioning to supervisor.
- Reports supply and equipment needs to Director of Maintenance for replenishing.
- Maintains equipment used in performing duties.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all residents, families, visitors and fellow employees to insure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- Interacts with all of the above in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner as observed by management and peers.
- Fosters mature professional relationships with fellow employees in a courteous, friendly manner as measured by management observation and peer input.
- Maintains open communication using appropriate chain of command regarding issues.
- Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of residents, visitors, families and fellow employees.
- Maintains confidentiality of all resident information at all times, as observed by peers and management.
- Presents neat appearance in proper attire and identification as required by the position and Bethel Lutheran Home policy.
- Displays a positive attitude across departmental lines to contribute to the overall customer service program in place.
- Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a team to facilitate Bethel Lutheran Home’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- Participates in staff meetings as determined by Director.
- Supports Bethel Lutheran Home’s mission, policies and procedures through attendance and participation at in-services and staff meetings.
- Attends required Bethel in-services and staff meetings as required.
- Completes work assignments on time/readily accepts assignments as observed by management.
- Reports to work on time and is at work as scheduled, as observed by management.
- Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, specific job–related hazards.
- Attends all required safety education programs.
- Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed.
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by Bethel Lutheran Home standards.
- Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
- Follows exposure control plans/blood borne and airborne pathogens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures and correct use of protective barrier equipment (Universal Precautions).
- Assures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures.
Education & Training Requirements High School or equivalent education preferred.
Work Experience Requirements
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English as to be understood effectively by another
- Ability to follow oral directions.
- Perform tasks despite frequent interruptions.
- Economical use of supplies, care and use of equipment.
- Must be able to accomplish all responsibilities without supervision or other employee assistance after the training period is completed, and do so without injury to oneself or other individuals
Essential Functions – Physical & Mental Requirements
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds; stretch arms above head; bend to clean under furniture.
- On feet most of workday.
- Pushes, pulls, lifts, cleaning equipment and supplies.
- May stand on chair or small stepladder to reach high places.
- Exposed irregularly to infection when entering resident rooms.
- Subject to reactions from heavy dust, housekeeping and disinfecting solutions.Subject to falls from ladders and slipping on wet floors.Moderate concentration/intensity, which includes prolonged mental effort with limited opportunity for breaks.Normal memory, taking into consideration the amount and type of information.Moderate level of complexity for decision making.
- Must possess the ability to maintain a calm, efficient and professional demeanor at all times, especially during emotional and chaotic situations.
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate