Bethel Lutheran Home is seeking a full time Certified Dietary Manager to work with our dietary team to drive quality of care at our facility. We are looking for an experienced Certified Dietary Manager professional with the same drive and focus to ensure our residents get the attention they deserve.
Our ideal candidate(s) is self-motivated with a genuine concern for our resident’s well-being and has a positive attitude. The Certified Dietary Manager works closely with the Dietitian and Nursing staff to ensure the Residents receive the quality and proper dietary needs.
As the dietary manager, you are responsible for scheduling, purchasing of food and supplies, maintaining budgets, charting resident care plans, and the management of 15-20 staff. You will need to adhere to the state and federal regulations of the proper food service and food preparation. Experience in proper sanitation requirements and food service safety and procedures are required. Prior management experience, Serve Safe Certification and completion of Dietary Manager Course are preferred. You will need to work well with others and have a pleasant personality. You need to promote a pleasant work environment and be able to handle confidential matters. You must have a neat and clean appearance at all times. You need to be organized, task orientated, able to handle many interruptions, and be directive with your staff.
The following is not an all-inclusive list of the work duties, but the main highlights of the position, such as:
- General duties of the Dietary Supervisor that will be performed:
- Will be responsible for staff preparing and serving meals in nursing home, assisted living, apartments and throughout the Bethel Community on certain occasions.
- Need to be maintaining high standards of food preparation and service.
- Making sure equipment is clean and repaired (if needed) in the dietary department as well as dining room areas.
- Maintain and improve standards of food preparation and service.
- Responsible for in-service planning and training of all dietary employees.
- Consulting with dietician on a daily/weekly basis.
- Job evaluations of dietary employees.
- Supervising standardization of recipes and making sure staffing follow menus and extensions.
- Responsible for staff following doctors’ orders regarding therapeutic and modified diets.
- Coordinate meals for quarantined residents as needed
- Responsible for assessing residents according to MDS schedule, charting, MDS input on Point Click Care and updating care plans.
- Responsible for purchasing of all food and supplies in the department.
- Put food and supply orders away in a timely manner in the proper locations.
- Check invoices and deliveries to make sure there were no errors in the delivery process or any credits that need to be accounted for.
- Maintains cleanliness of all areas of the dietary department including but not limited to walk-in cooler, freezers, stoves, and refrigerators.
- Prepare budget with Administrator and maintain that budget.
- Coordinate with the Director of Nursing and nursing department concerning the resident’s dietary needs through Director of Nursing or charge nurses.
- Assisting the other departments in the serving of special meals on Family Night, Open House, or other special events.
- Responsible for food preparation of special meals if necessary with the Administrator.
- Would need to have a Serve Safe certification and keep that current.
- You would also need to pass the Dietary Manager course if not completed already.
- Trained to feed residents and assist at meals if needed.
- Learning and being knowledgeable of the facility and department policies and procedures.
- Staffing Duties:
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring and orientation of all Dietary staff.
- You will be in charge of 15-20 staff, is subject to change depending on how Bethel grows and changes in the future.
- Responsible for the orientation of all new employees in conjunction with other departments.
- Responsible for all in-service education for departmental staff.
- Responsible to keep department staff current on any handbook changes regarding policies and procedures.
- Responsible for providing adequate supervision of the dietary personnel.
- Schedules the department hours on a regular basis to expedite work.
- Listens to employee grievances and works with them to bring resolution. If needed, you should let Human Resources know of the issue to help the employee.
- Attends Leadership meetings, Quality Assurance committee meeting, Care Conferences, Skin Hydration, Neighborhood Meetings, Tenant Meetings, and other meetings, either in the facility or away from the facility with approval of the Administrator
- Will need to attend the weekly care conferences for residents and their families.
- Reviews the department policies, procedures and job descriptions annually and makes revisions as needed.
- Conducts annual employment evaluations of personnel.
- Performs disciplinary action or recommend to the Administrator the termination of employees if needed.
- Meets with department employees on a regular basis.
- Makes daily walk-throughs of all dietary areas of the Bethel Community, checking food temps, sanitation, and the overall performance of department personnel.
- Reviews any complaints regarding the department delivering services.
- Department Level Status:
- As Dietary Supervisor, you would be a part of the Leadership staff. You would come to weekly Leadership meetings.
- Assist with events throughout the year. This includes working with other departments to plan, set-up and help at the events.
- As a member of the Leadership team, the Administrator would appreciate your involvement in most of the annual activities within Bethel that we put on each year for our residents, their families, and staff. You would coordinate with the Administrator the extra hours that you work to adjust for your time spent during these activities.
- Will need to maintain high level of confidence in what you see, hear, and do each day.
- You will be paid salary every two weeks.
- Annual evaluation will be done by the Administrator
- Other duties can be assigned by the Administrator.
- Time off is approved by the Administrator and determined by work schedule and monthly duties.
- High school graduate or equivalent (required)
- Certified Dietary Manager: 2 years (preferred)
- Working in dietary department: 2 years (preferred)
- Supervising Experience: 2 years (preferred)
- Good overall knowledge of dietary practices, procedures, dietary supplies and the use of all equipment.
- Individual should possess good typing skills and have experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and computer programs.